Sustainability: Raising the Bar
Nextracker’s commitment to becoming a model sustainability company is unwavering, and we’re already seeing significant progress toward achieving our goals.
Sustainability Is Mission-Critical
As a clean energy champion, Nextracker sees sustainability as a mission-critical part of our organization. We have begun developing a data-driven framework of measuring, learning and implementing changes to the way we operate to become the most sustainable solar tracker company in the world, not only with our technology and products but also through our procurement and supply chain practices. We are also committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization and in the clean energy sector as a whole. We are constantly evolving our processes in accordance with the best practices in the industry and the learnings we gain along the way.
Nextracker’s smart solar tracker solutions for PV projects of all sizes transform plant performance with advanced data monitoring and analysis software and services.
In addition to providing an enabling technology platform for more than 50 GW of zero-emission solar power plants around the world, Nextracker is dedicated to becoming the most sustainable solar tracking company in the world. That focus on sustainability and environmental stewardship starts with the design of our independent-row trackers, which create less disturbance of the natural terrain. Our terrain-following technology greatly reduces the amount of site grading needed on a plant site during construction. Above-ground Zigbee wireless communication system requires no underground cabling, while our smart panels reduce energy use from the plants themselves.
In addition, we have taken the following measures to reduce our environmental footprint:
- We offset energy that we consume at our global headquarters through onsite generation at our Center for Solar Excellence in Fremont, CA.
- In 2020 we took steps to complete the Scope 1, 2, and 3 GHG emissions and environmental impacts through the entire life cycle of our products. This baseline will allow us to find areas where we can reduce or offset our GHG emissions moving forward.
- As part of our ongoing sustainability efforts, Nextracker has earned the world-class sustainability rating from Ecovadis.
People with Purpose
Nextracker is committed not only to providing the best performing, most reliable trackers but also to being ethical partners and enriching the communities that we operate in. To that end, we have launched the following programs:
- Solar workforce development: through our renowned Powerworx training academy, and with partners around the world, we train the solar workforce of tomorrow, today
- Nextracker has joined the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) and more than 175 solar companies to sign the Solar Industry Forced Labor Prevention Pledge. We are committed to the industry-wide effort to oppose the use of forced labor in our supply chain.
- To further these efforts, in early 2021 we began instituting a Responsible Procurement Program, which we plan to have finalized by the end of the year.
Diversity and Empowerment
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and know that these are key drivers of success for any organization. We seek to create an environment where everyone can show up and be valued as their authentic self. We are committed to the mental and physical wellness for all employees.
In addition to our internal programs, Nextracker partners with like-minded national and global organizations to promote diversity and social equity.
- Renewables Forward
- Clean Energy Leadership Institute (CELI)
- GRID Alternatives
- Little Sun
- Navajo Nation
- Vote Solar
- The Hidden Genius Project
- Women in Cleantech and Sustainability (WCS)
Introducing Half the Sun Scholarship for Women in STEM
Nextracker and Solar Energy International (SEI) have partnered to launch Half the Sun, a global scholarship program to support more women in joining the solar workforce.
Each year for three years, this needs-based scholarship program will provide 10 students with full financial aid for an SEI online solar training course lasting six weeks. The awardees also get direct access to the Nextracker’s Women Network during and after the course of the training.
Our goal is to have our first sustainability report published by the end of 2021.
In the first installment of our sustainability blog series, Sarah Albert, Nextracker’s director of sustainability, introduces herself and explains how we are building and executing our sustainability strategy and framework.